Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Baby leg warmers

This is a great DIY project!  You can find some nice baby leg warmers by Babylegs at http://www.babylegs.com/ but personally, I think 12$ is too much to spend on a clothing item for my baby, especially when I want more than one!

So to make your own, all you need is a pair of socks, a pair of scissors, a needle and thread, or a sewing machine.  Pins are also useful but not necessary.

Here is a photo tutorial :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/babyhopes/sets/72157594274454468/

If you are like me and just don't get photo tutorials, you can use this video tutorial (that's how I learned) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYO4T_q0x0Y

Tips from my own experience :

  • I know it says to use knee highs, but since my baby is still small, I decided to use just regular ladies socks.  They won't fit for long, but they are a perfect fit right now, and I have even been able to use them as sleeves under short sleeved shirts.
  • If you are cheap, or want these for more for functionality than look, you can always use an old pair of your own socks, because the heel and toe are usually the first to go, and you are cutting those parts out anyway.
  • Mix and match : you could take two pairs of different coloured or  different patterned socks, and use one for the cuff, and one for the leg.  This is fun if you want your baby to have that "bohemian" look.
It takes me about a half hour to make a pair, but I've only made three pairs, so I'll probably get faster with practice.

This is a great starter project, because it is easy, and you can start with some cheap socks so if you screw up it isn't a big deal.  These also make great gifts, I made some for a friend's baby, and will be whipping some up for three birthday parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment